Abnormal Psychology 3E
Real Science. Real Life. Now with DSM5 coverage throughout.
This leading-edge author team, consisting of three active researchers, clinicians, and educators, take a scientist-practitioner approach emphasizing the rich blend of both the science and practice of abnormal psychology throughout the text. The developmental trajectory of each condition is discussed where appropriate and scientific findings with respect to race and gender are incorporated into discussions about each condition. Biological findings are integrated with findings from social and behavioral sciences, highlighting the complexity of abnormal behavior and how it is often influenced by a wide range of variables. The authors encourage students to look at psychological disorders along a continuum and analyze disorders in terms of whether the individual’s behavior creates distress or impairs daily functioning. Importantly, an effort is made to “bring to life” the nature of these conditions by providing vivid clinical descriptions. In addition to short descriptions used liberally throughout each chapter, a fully integrated case study is presented at the end of each chapter, again illustrating the interplay of biological, psychosocial and emotional factors.
The 3rd edition includes coverage of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5), with updated text references and examples throughout.
MyPsychLab is an integral part of the Beidel / Bulik / Stanley program. Key learning applications include MyPsychLab video series with new virtual case studies.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning — MyPsychLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Improve Critical Thinking — Students are encouraged to think critically about current controversial issues in the field and to consider the fine line between “normal” and “abnormal” behavior.
- Engage Students — Real cases in the text based on the authors’ own clinical files along with videos of real people with psychological disorders on MyPsychLab engage students in the material and help to destigmatize disorders.
- Explore Research — Icons highlight what is known about the developmental trajectory of each condition. Virtual Reality therapy and other topics engage students in current research and help them see the relationship between science and clinical practice.
- Support Instructors — Speaking Out video interviews featuring real people with psychological disorders, along with their family and friends, help instructors engage students both in and out of the classroom. Included on DVD, on MyPsychLab, and embedded in the PowerPoint slides, these and other resources provide extensive support for instructors.
Find us on Facebook! Login and search for: Beidel/Bulik/Stanley, Abnormal Psychology