Beginning Algebra 9E
Table of Contents
(Note: Each chapter ends with a Group Activity, Summary, Review Exercises, a Chapter Test and, with the exception of
Ch. 1, a Cumulative Review). List of Applications. Preface. Feature Walkthrough.
1. The Real Number System. Fractions. Exponents, Order of Operations, and Inequality. Variables, Expressions, and Equations. Real Numbers and the Number Line. Adding and Subtracting Real Numbers. Multiplying and Dividing Real Numbers. Summary Exercises on Operations with Real Numbers. Properties of Real Numbers. Simplifying Expressions.
2. Linear Equations and Inequalities in One Variable. The Addition Property of Equality. The Multiplication Property of Equality. More on Solving Linear Equations. Summary Exercises on Solving Linear Equations . An Introduction to Applications of Linear Equations. Formulas and Applications from Geometry. Ratios and Proportions. More About Problem Solving. Solving Linear Inequalities.
3. Linear Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables Functions. Reading Graphs Linear Equations in Two Variables. Graphing Linear Equations in Two Variables. The Slope of a Line. Equations of a Line. Graphing Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. Introduction to Functions.
4. Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination. Summary Exercises on Solving Systems of Linear Equations. Applications of Linear Systems. Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities.
5. Exponents and Polynomials. The Product Rule and Power Rules for Exponents. Integer Exponents and the Quotient Rule. Summary Exercises on the Rules for Exponents. An Application of Exponents: Scientific Notation. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials Graphing Simple Polynomials. Multiplying Polynomials. Special Products. Dividing Polynomials.
6. Factoring and Applications. The Greatest Common Factor Factoring by Grouping. Factoring Trinomials. More on Factoring Trinomials. Special Factoring Rules. Summary Exercises on Factoring. Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring. Applications of Quadratic Equations.
7. Rational Expressions and Applications. The Fundamental Property of Rational Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Least Common Denominators. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. Complex Fractions. Solving Equations with Rational Expressions. Summary Exercises on Operations and Equations with Rational Expressions. Applications of Rational Expressions. Variation.
8. Roots and Radicals. Evaluating Roots. Multiplying, Dividing, and Simplifying Radicals. Adding and Subtracting Radicals. Rationalizing the Denominator. More Simplifying and Operations with Radical. Summary Exercises on Operations with Radicals. Solving Equations with Radicals. Using Rational Numbers as Exponents.
9. Quadratic Equations. Solving Quadratic Equations by the Square Root Property. Solving Quadratic Equations.