Britain's Spiders : A Field Guide
Britain's Spiders is a photographic guide to all 37 of the British families, focussing on spiders that can be identified in the field. Illustrated with a remarkable collection of photographs, it is designed to be accessible to a wide audience, including those new to spider identification. This book pushes the boundaries of field identification for this challenging group by combining information on features that can be seen with the naked eye or a hand lens with additional evidence from webs, egg-sacs, behaviour, phenology, habitats and distributions. Individual accounts cover 390 of Britain's approximately 660 species, with the limitations to field identification explained.
As the first photographic field guide to British spiders to be published since 1989, this book fills a major gap in the resources available to everyone with an interest in this fascinating, diverse and important group of animals.
- More than 300 stunning photographs
- A family guide based on features recognisable in the field, including body shape and other characteristics, and further guides to webs and egg sacs
- Detailed accounts, highlighting key identification tips for each genus and species featured, and including information on status, behaviour and habitats
- Maps and charts showing distributions and adult seasonality
- Introductory chapters exploring the biology of spiders, and where, when and how to find them, including equipment needed in the field
- A complete list of the spiders recorded in Britain, indicating the degree of identification difficulty
- Information on how to record spiders and make your records count
- Guidance on how to take your interest further