Children's Nursing Case Book
Nursing children and young people is increasingly complex requiring nurses to apply their knowledge and skills to a wide scope of illnesses and situations. The challenges to nurses to analyse, reflect on different perspectives and then adapt practices to the benefit of service users are reflected in this book.
Each scenario in this text is created based on real life cases and practice. The 23 cases connect knowledge with practice and guide you through the anatomy and physiology and the physical and psychological responses to stressors, which are then linked to intervention decisions. Cases include:
• Providing care for children and young people with life-limiting conditions
• Acutely ill children including those with asthma, and an infant with pyrexia and febrile convulsions
• Long term conditions including diabetes, renal disease and the transfer to adult services
• Those who are critically ill such as a child with typhoid fever and a toddler with a head injury
• Supporting emotional and mental health in anorexia and autistic spectrum disorder
• Promoting healthy lifestyles, considering obesity and alcoholism
• Care for children with trauma, including a child with a learning disability
Remaining vigilant for indicators of safeguarding concern, encouraging self-care, and promoting mental resilience are all incorporated, with examples from a range of care environments. Calculation exercises are interspersed to keep these skills sharp.
This Case Book is an ideal learning resource, tailored to help nurses learn in a focused way about practice and excel, whether on placements, in academic work, or in professional practice.