Cornes and Lupton's Design Liability in the Construction Industry
Liability for the design of a building or structure is of fundamental concern to construction professionals, design-build contractors, specialist sub-contractors, and lawyers. Although other texts cover a wide range of aspects of liability, only Cornes and Lupton’s Design Liability in Construction draws together all those matters that relate specifically to design.
A number of factors have come together recently and are addressed in this significant update and rewrite of the 4th edition, including:
- popularity of design & build procurement
- partnering arrangements and early contractor involvement
- new standard forms of construction contract and appointment, and revisions to older forms
- technical innovations in construction
- collaborative working and BIM systems
- many well-publicised cases regarding design failures
- significant developments in the law of tort and professional liability
- the development of the single European market and increased provision of services overseas
Together these factors create a new range of design liability issues which the construction professional has to face. Written for lawyers, architects, engineers, and contractors, the fifth edition of Design Liability in Construction will also serve as a useful text for masters level courses in engineering, surveying and construction law.