Cultural DNA : The Psychology of Globalization
Develop deeper cultural intelligence to thrive in a globalized world.
Cultural DNA is a thought provoking book for successful engagement with cultures around the world. Written by Gurnek Bains, founder and chairman of a global business psychology consultancy, this book guides leaders through the essential soft skills required to get under the skin and engage an increasingly connected world.
Presenting ground breaking original research and the latest evidence from neuroscience, behavioral genetics, and psychology, the deepest instincts of eight key global cultures are dissected. Readers will understand the psychological themes at play in regions such as the U.S., Latin America, Europe, China, India, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia. Additionally, an extensive database of 30,000 leaders provides insights to inform the reader.
The book addresses questions such as:
- What are the challenges for leaders from different regions as they move into onto the global stage?
- Why are Americans so positive?
- Why is China a world leader in manufacturing and India in IT?
- Why do overseas firms struggle in the U.S. market place?
- What are the emotional forces driving current events in the Middle East?
Each culture has attributes that developed over thousands of years to address unique environmental challenges. This DNA drumbeat from the past reverberates through each society affecting everything. As globalization marches on we can also learn important lessons from the world’s distinct societies.
Globalization demands that cultures learn to work within each other's needs and expectations, and the right mix of people skills, business acumen, and cultural awareness is key. Business and Political leaders will understand how each regions’ cultural DNA influences:
- Its economic and political institutions.
- People’s underlying consumer psychology.
- The soft skills needed to lead in that environment.
- How to best release people’s potential.
- The issues that need to be managed to anticipate and solve problems before they arise
Every now and again a new book comes along, that is a must read: Malcolm Gladwell’s Tipping Point or a Seth Godin’s Tribes. Cultural DNA by Gurnek Bains, by virtue of its depth, originality and ambition, is that very book for all global leaders.