English Teaching in the Secondary School : Linking theory and practice
English Teaching in the Secondary School is a comprehensive guide to the theory and practice of teaching English. This updated 4th edition has been revised to take into consideration changes in national policy, drawing on the most recent research and theory to produce engaging, practical ideas for use in the classroom. It challenges mechanistic and formulaic approaches to teaching, instead placing an emphasis on reflection, understanding and informed practice.
Guiding students and new teachers through the whole process of English teaching in the secondary school, this edition has been fully updated to include:
• a report of the most recent developments in national policy
• discussion of multiple literacies and critical literacy
• a new chapter on English as an additional language
• a new chapter on cross curricular themes
• new sections on approaches to the teaching of grammar
• reflections on international developments in language teaching and their relevance
• a guide to further reading on resources and research
Written in an accessible style, with a wealth of advice and ideas, English Teaching in the Secondary Schoolforms essential reading for all those training to become secondary English teachers.