Essential German Grammar
Essential German Grammar is a student-friendly grammar and workbook designed to give learners a firm foundation on which to build a real understanding of both spoken and written German. The reference grammar section offers clear explanations of key grammar points while a separate exercise section gives students the opportunity to test themselves and put into practice what they have learned.
This new edition has been revised and updated throughout. Explanations, tables and exercises have been improved and a number of the authentic texts and illustrations have been replaced by new material. Key features of this second edition include:
- User-friendly layout with updated 2 colour design, engaging illustrations and visually appealing tables throughout to aid the learning process
- Clear and accessible explanations with memorable examples informed by the latest research on the German language and presented in accordance with current teaching methodology
- Helpful parallels between English and German provided where relevant
- End-of-chapter extracts taken from contemporary journalistic or authentic literary sources, illustrating grammar in context, with model translations provided at the back of the book
- Material to enable better strategic learning and understanding, including a Why Grammar?—FAQ section, a glossary of grammatical terms in both English and German and a complete answer key to exercises
- Created especially for the new edition, a companion website at www.routledge.com/cw/kaiser offering a wealth of additional materials, including interactive exercises, quizzes and flashcards to test student understanding, downloadable PDF sheets for classroom use, PowerPoint slides for instructors and audio recordings illustrating the sounds of spoken German.
Written by highly experienced lecturers in the field, Essential German Grammar is an invaluable resource for intermediate and advanced undergraduate students of German (CEFR levels A2 to B2, ACTFL Novice High to Intermediate High). It is designed to function equally as a free-standing grammar or as a foundation grammar for Hammer’s German Grammar and Usage and is suitable for both classroom use and self-study.