Essential Primary Grammar is an invaluable resource to ensure that you are firmly equipped to teach grammar. It helps you get to grips with your knowledge of grammar for the national curriculum - including the spelling, punctuation and grammar test - as well as providing you with some tried and tested ways to teach grammar. Underpinned by a series of research studies which have investigated the teaching of grammar, it will support you in how to teach grammar in creative and meaningful ways whilst supporting you in developing your own fundamental knowledge of grammar.
Uniquely, the book takes a systematic step-by-step approach to explain the grammatical terminology specified in the national curriculum. It also illustrates how you might develop children’s grammatical knowledge by offering a range of practical activities which are rich, meaningful and support children’s development as confident and curious language investigators.
Key features include:
• Easy-to-read chapters which systematically focus on grammatical subject knowledge at word, phrase and clause level
• Guidance in each chapter addressing typical grammar problems or misconceptions, and some grammar jokes
• Inspiring suggestions for teaching activities to help children develop grammatical knowledge in meaningful learning contexts
• Reference to authentic children’s books to illuminate the grammatical explanations and suggested teaching activities
• Ideas on how high quality talk about grammar and texts can be fostered in the classroom