Essentials of Eccentric Training
Essentials of Eccentric Training is the first comprehensive resource covering this innovative approach to resistance training and conditioning that produces extraordinary results. Backed by evidence-based studies and readily incorporated into training programs, eccentric training provides greater intensity to help individuals push past plateaus and increase muscular strength, endurance, and power. Using eccentric training, strength and conditioning professionals and personal trainers can also help their clients improve metabolism, manage their weight, and facilitate injury rehabilitation.
The text provides the physiological explanations, exercises, and sample programs beneficial to introducing eccentric training into clients’ workouts. All facets of this exciting, power-generating modality are detailed by veteran international fitness expert Len Kravitz and champion bodybuilder and personal trainer Aaron Bubbico, who use eccentric training not only with clients but also in their own exercise regimens. The practical information in the book is supported by special features:
• 70 eccentric training exercises are demonstrated through full-color photos and detailed instructions to properly illustrate techniques and minimize risk of injury.
• A selection of 46 online exercise videos explain more complex workout techniques to ensure exercises are properly performed to maximize results. Symbols throughout the book indicate when videos are available online.
• A selection of 24 sample workout plans, six case study workouts, and two sample eight-week training programs provide professionals with a strong starting point to build programs for their clients.
• An appendix lists foundational resistance training exercises across seven popular sports.
• An exercise finder categorized by muscle group makes selecting the right exercises for each client easy.
After establishing a foundation of muscular physiology, the first chapters of Essentials of Eccentric Training explain the three unique ways of using eccentric training: eccentric emphasis, supramaximal training, and the two-up/one-down method. The next two chapters address specific effects of the training method: how it bolsters postworkout metabolic rate and how to minimize delayed-onset muscle soreness. The book’s final six chapters contain exercises and program designs specifically for muscular strength, muscular endurance, explosive power, weight loss, muscle size, and rehabilitation.
Essentials of Eccentric Training imparts every aspect of this groundbreaking training system and its benefits in resistance exercise programs. The method presents boundless opportunities for strength and conditioning specialists and exercise professionals who work with athletes and exercise enthusiasts of all ages and fitness levels.