Evolution of Policing : Worldwide Innovations and Insights
Each year, the International Police Executive Symposium (IPES) holds a global conference for police scholars and practitioners to exchange information about the latest trends in police practice and research. Drawn from recent proceedings, The Evolution of Policing: Worldwide Innovations and Insights explores major policing initiatives and evolutions across the globe and presents practical insights on how police are retooling their profession.
With insight from both police practitioners and scholars, the book covers a range of topics, including:
- The trends in evolving police roles among democratic and democratizing states in pursuit of improved policing models
- The impact and implementation of the currently dominant philosophy of community-oriented policing
- Innovations occurring in police training and personnel management
- Police operations and issues relating to ethics, technology, investigations, and public relations
- Challenges to police practices, such as terrorism, decentralization, and the policing of indigenous and special population groups
A survey of the evolving roles and practices in policing across the world, the book is written in a style accessible to a wide audience. The expert insight will assist scholars in seeking directions for their current research endeavors while at the same time enabling practitioners to implement new programs or fine-tune their current practices.