Exterior Building Enclosures : Design Process and Composition for Innovative Facades
Focused on the design process for architects and related professionals, this book addresses the design and execution of sophisticated exterior building enclosures for a number of commercial building types and in a variety of building materials. It focuses on the design process by delineating enclosure basics, the participants (owners, architects, engineers, consultants) and their roles and responsibilities through collaboration, and tracking the design process through construction.
This comprehensive handbook covers all of the factors that affect the design of a building enclosure, including function, visual aesthetics, performance requirements, and many other criteria. In-depth case studies of projects of various scales, types, and climate conditions illustrate the successful implementation of exterior wall enclosure solutions in brick masonry, stone, architectural concrete, glass, and metals.
This unique and indispensable guide:
- Defines the functions, physical requirements, design principles, and types of exterior building enclosures
- Identifies the participants in the design and construction process and specifies their roles and responsibilities
- Presents a step-by-step process for the design of exterior enclosures, from defining goals and developing concepts through creating construction documents
- Reviews the construction process from bidding and negotiation through the paper phase to the "brick and mortar" stage
- Provides details on the properties of exterior enclosure materials, including structural considerations, weather protection, fire safety, and more
- Covers a variety of materials, including brick masonry, natural stone masonry, architectural concrete, metal framing and glass, and all-glass enclosures
Written by the technical director of the San Francisco office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, Exterior Building Enclosures is an indispensable resource for architects, engineers, facade consultants, and green design consultants working on commercial building projects.