Families Communicating With Children
The book mirrors the organization and coverage of existingfamily communication textbooks, making it a valuable addition tocoursework about families, communication, and development. Chaptertopics include:
- an overview of communication development: universal stages andcultural variations;
- communication development at home: nonverbal, verbal andmediated skills;
- relational and group dynamics in the home, including variationsby ethnicity and family configuration;
- family roles and family rules for providing stability andstructuring behavior;
- family resiliency in coping with challenges;
- strategies for fostering positive communication development inthe home.
Families Communicating with Children emphasizes thepositive effects of family influence, and draws attention tocross-cultural variations in parenting as well as universal stepsin development. These features clarify the process of communicationdevelopment and offer an optimistic view of the future for the manyshapes families assume today.