Golden Secrets of Lettering : Letter Design from First Sketch to Final Artwork
Through easy-to-understand instructions and guidelines, plenty of inspirational examples, and hundreds of sketches and illustrations, Martina Flor shows how to transform initial lettering concepts and sketches into a well-shaped, exquisite piece of digital lettering that can be published and sold. Learn how to train your typographic eye by studying lettering samples and the anatomy of letters; explore concepts of hierarchy, composition and flourishes; and discover the many different ways of creating letter shapes. In addition, Flor explains the process of creating a lettering project step by step – from start to finish, from analogue to digital – and gives valuable tips about how to make a career as a lettering artist.
Table of Contents
1. Visual Storytelling: defining lettering and its difference from calligraphy and type design • 2. The Typographic Eye: the importance of observation
• 3. Basics: the DNA of letters • 4. Tools and Applications: pens, brushes and other tools
• 5. The Lettering Designer’s Playground: an overview of lettering styles • 6. Composition and Embellishments: structure, hierarchy and flourishes
• 7. Sketching Letterforms: from rough sketch to refined drawing (and some helpful tips and tricks) • 8. From Analogue to Digital: vectorizing your lettering
• 9. The Finishing Touch: adding colour and texture 10. Work in Progress: becoming a professional designer