Heart of Counseling : Counseling Skills through Therapeutic Relationships
More than any other text on the market, The Heart of Counseling is effective in helping students to understand the importance of therapeutic relationships and to develop the qualities that make the therapeutic relationships they build with clients the foundation of healing. In these pages, students come to see how all skills arise from and are directly related to the counselor’s development and to building therapeutic relationships. Student learning ranges from therapeutic listening and empathy to structuring sessions, from explaining counseling to clients and caregivers to providing wrap-around services, and ultimately to experiencing therapeutic relationships as the foundation of professional and personal growth.
The Heart of Counseling includes:
- extensive case studies and discussions applying skills in school and agency settings
- skill-based specificity for abstract concepts of change through therapeutic relationship
- exploration of counseling theories and tasks within and extending from core counseling skills
- videos that bring each chapter to life
- test banks, instructor’s manuals, syllabi, and guidance for learning-outcomes assessments for professors