History of Roman Art
A History of Roman Art provides a wide-ranging survey of the subject from the founding of Rome to the rule of Rome?s first Christian emperor, Constantine. Incorporating the most up-to-date information available on the topic, this new textbook explores the creation, use, and meaning of art in the Roman world.
- Extensively illustrated with 375 color photographs and line drawings
- Broadly defines Roman art to include the various cultures that contributed to the Roman system
- Focuses throughout on the overarching themes of Rome?s cultural inclusiveness and art?s important role in promoting Roman values
- Discusses a wide range of Roman painting, mosaic, sculpture, and decorative arts, as well as architecture and associated sculptures within the cultural contexts they were created and developed
- Offers helpful and instructive pedagogical features for students, such as timelines; key terms defined in margins; a glossary; sidebars with key lessons and explanatory material on artistic technique, stories, and ancient authors; textboxes on art and literature, art from the provinces, and important scholarly perspectives; and primary sources in translation
- Upon publication, a book companion website will be available with the following resources: PowerPoint slides, glossary, and timeline