Introductory Algebra 7e
Table of Contents
(Each Chapter ends with a Summary, Review Exercises and a Chapter Test. With the exception of Chapters R and 1, each Chapter also ends with a set of cumulative review exercises.).List of Applications. Preface. An Introduction to Scientific Calculators. To the Student. Diagnostic Pretest. R. Prealgebra Review. Fractions.Decimals and Percents.
1. The Real Number System. Exponents, Order of Operations, and Inequality.Variables, Expressions, and Equations.Real Numbers and the Number Line.Addition of Real Numbers.Subtraction of Real Numbers.Multiplication and Division of Real Numbers.Properties of Real Numbers.Simplifying Expressions.
2. Equations, Inequalities, and Applications. The Addition Property of Equality.The Multiplication Property of Equality.More on Solving Linear Equations.An Introduction to Applications of Linear Equations.Formulas and Applications from Geometry.Ratio, Proportion, and Percent.Summary Exercises on Solving Applied Problems.Solving Linear Inequalities.
3. Graphs of Linear Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables. Reading Graphs Linear Equations in Two Variables.Graphing Linear Equations in Two Variables.Slope.Equations of Lines.Graphing Linear Inequalities in Two Variables.
4. Exponents and Polynomials. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials.The Product Rule and Power Rules for Exponents.Multiplying Polynomials.Special Products.Integer Exponents and the Quotient Rule.Dividing a Polynomial by a Monomial.The Quotient of Two Polynomials.An Application of Exponents: Scientific Notation.
5. Factoring and Applications. Factors The Greatest Common Factor.Factoring Trinomials.Factoring Trinomials by Grouping.Factoring Trinomials Using FOIL.Special Factoring Techniques.Summary Exercises on Factoring.Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring.Applications of Quadratic Equations.
6. Rational Expressions and Applications. The Fundamental Property of Rational Expressions.Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions.Least Common Denominators.Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions.Complex Fractions.Solving Equations with Rational Expressions.Summary Exercises on Operations and Equations with Rational Expressions.Applications of Rational Expressions.Variation.
7. Systems of Equations and Inequalities. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing.Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution.Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination.Applications of Linear Systems.Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities.
8. Roots and Radicals. Evaluating Roots.Multiplying, Dividing, and Simplifying Radicals.Adding and Subtracting Radicals.Rationalizing the Denominator.More Simplifying and Operations with Radicals.Solving Equations with Radicals.
9. Quadratic Equations. Solving Quadratic Equations by the Square Root Property.Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square.Solving Quadratic Equations by the Quadratic Formula.Summary Exercises on Quadratic Equations.Graphing Quadratic Equations.Introduction to Functions.
Appendix A: Sets. Append