Media and Society : Production, Content and Participation
This book unpacks the role of the media in social, cultural and political contexts and encourages you to reflect on the power relationships that are formed as a result.
Structured around the three cornerstones of media studies; production, content and participation, this is an ideal introduction to your studies in media, culture and society. The book:
- Evaluates recent developments in media production, industries and platforms brought about the emergence of interactive media technologies.
- Examines the shifting relationship between media production and consumption instigated by the rise of social and mobile media, recasting consumption as ‘participation’.
- Explores the construction of texts and meanings via media representations, consumer culture and popular culture, as well as the relationship between politics and public relations.
- Assesses the debates around the creative and cultural labour involved in meaning-making.
- Includes a companion website featuring exercise and discussion questions, links to relevant blogs and web material, lists of further reading and free access to key journal articles.