Monitoring Detention, Custody, Torture and Ill-treatment: A Practical Approach to Prevention and Doc
This landmark publication, by a prestigious worldwide author team, provides an international forensic, legal, and professional framework for all those involved in monitoring detention conditions as well as investigating and preventing torture or other cruel and inhuman degrading treatments or punishments.
- International guidelines and protocols are synthesized into a framework for future care
- A comprehensive and wide range of situations are covered from police stations, prisons, mental health, and social care civil conditions to prisoner of war, detention camps, military, and armed conflict situations
- Advice, monitoring, and assessment is given for special groups, including the custody of women, children, vulnerable adults, and individuals on hunger strike
- Practical guidelines are given for the assessment of ill-treatment of individuals in custody including sexual abuse
- Online links to the latest legal, ethical, and medical guidelines for key countries help to make this book appropriate for all
Challenging, thought-provoking yet intensely practical, this book is essential for all forensic and medical physicians as well as health professionals involved in the treatment and investigation of individuals in custody. It is required reading for members of the legal profession, armed forces, and indeed anyone involved in the detainment of individuals.