MS WINDOWS 98 USER MANUAL
Table of Contents
I. THE WINDOWS INTERFACE.
1. 15-Minute Guide to Using Windows. Starting Your Computer. Basic Mouse Skills. Using the Start Menu. Identifying Windows Objects. Working with Windows. Installing a Program. A Look at Web View. Shutting Off Your Computer.
2. The Windows Desktop. Icons and Shortcuts. The Start Menu. The Taskbar. The Recycle Bin.
3. Navigating Windows. Using the Mouse and Pointer. Working with a Window. Using Web View.
4. My Computer and Network Neighborhood. My Computer. Network Neighborhood.
5. Working with Windows Programs. Menus. Dialog Boxes. Property Sheets. Window Elements. Using More than One Program. Starting Programs Automatically. Installing and Uninstalling Programs.
6. The Windows Help Utility. Working with Help. Putting a Bookmark on a Help Page. Adding Your Own Notes to Help Topics.
7. Exploring Your Computer. Understanding Disks, Folders, and Files. Using Windows Explorer. Setting Folder Options.
8. Working with Files and Folders. Copying and Moving Files. Renaming and Deleting Files. Creating New Folders. Copying and Moving Folders. Renaming and Deleting Folders. Recovering Deleted Files and Folders. Changing the Name of a Disk. Using Floppy Disks. Sharing Your Files and Folders.
II. THE CONTROL PANEL. 9.
The Control Panel: Basic. Date/Time. Desktop Themes. Display. Using Multiple Displays. Fonts. Game Controllers. Keyboard. Mouse.
10. The Control Panel: Intermediate. Accessibility Options. Add New Hardware. Add/Remove Programs. Modems. Multimedia. Printers. Sounds.
11. The Control Panel: Advanced. Internet. Mail and Fax. Network. Passwords. PC Card (PCMCIA). Power Management. Regional Settings. System. Telephony. Users.
III. PUTTING WINDOWS TO WORK.
12. The Printers Folder. What is the Printers Folder? Setting Up a Local Printer. Using a Network Printer. Viewing and Managing a Printers Queue. Shortcuts to Printing. Setting Printer Options. Sharing Your Printer.
13. The Fonts Folder. What Are Fonts? Viewing and Managing Fonts. Installing and Removing Fonts. Using Special Characters. Controlling Fonts for Printing.
14. The Windows Accessory Programs. Notepad. WordPad. Calculator. Character Map. Phone Dialer.
15. More Windows Accessory Programs. Multimedia. System Tools. Clipboard Viewer. Games.
16. Sharing Data Between Documents and Programs. Why Share Data? What Is the Clipboard? Copy, Cut, and Paste. Linking Data. Understanding and Using OLE.
17. The Briefcase. What is the Briefcase? Creating a Briefcase.
IV. COMMUNICATION AND THE INTERNET.
18. Using a Modem. What is a Modem? Installing a Modem. Making the Modem Work. Adding a New Modem. Modem Diagnostics.
19. Using Dial-Up Networking. Installing Dial-Up Networking. Creating and Using a Connection. Using Dial-Up Networking. Virtual Private Networking. Dial-Up Server
20. Setting Up and Using Internet Explorer. Install