Genuinely useful to those interested in effectiveness, leadership, and culture.
-- Joan V. Gallos, instructor in management, Radcliffe Seminars, Harvard University
* Understand team and organization dynamics
* See how new technologies influence organizations
* Learn about managing across cultural boundaries
* Gain insight into overcoming cultural resistance to change...and much more!
Focusing on the complex business realities of the '90s, organizational development pioneer Edgar H. Schein updates his influential understanding of culture, and lucidly demonstrates the crucial role leaders play in successfully applying the principles of culture to achieve their organizations' goals. Schein shows how to identify, nurture, and shape the cultures of organizations in any stage of development, and presents critical new learnings and practices in the field, including additional work on subcultures. The result is a vital aid to understanding and practicing organizational effectiveness.
1. Defining Organizational Culture.
2. Why Culture Must Be Better Understood.
3. Functions of Culture in Organizations.
4. Content and Levels of Culture.
5. How to Uncover Cultural Assumptions in an Organization.
6. Ethical Problems in Culture Studies and Interventions.
HOW CULTURES BEGIN AND DEVELOP.
7. How Culture Forms: Theoretical Perspectives.
8. Observing Culture Emerge in Small Groups.
9. How Organization Founders Shape Culture.
10. How Leaders Embed and Transmit Culture.
HOW CULTURES CHANGE.
11. Understanding Culture Change in the Context of Organizational Change.
12. Organizational Growth Stages and Culture Change Mechanisms.
13. Analyzing the Change Process.
14. Leadership as Managed Culture Change.