Principles of Modern Chemistry 8e
Long considered the standard for honors and high-level mainstream general chemistry courses, PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY continues to set the standard as the most modern, rigorous, and chemically and mathematically accurate text on the market. This authoritative text features an "atoms first" approach and thoroughly revised chapters on Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure (Chapter 6), Electrochemistry (Chapter 17), and Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry (Chapter 20). In addition, the text utilizes mathematically accurate and artistic atomic and molecular orbital art, and is student friendly without compromising its rigor. End-of-chapter study aids focus on only the most important key objectives, equations and concepts, making it easier for students to locate chapter content, while applications to a wide range of disciplines, such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine deepen students’ understanding of the relevance of chemistry beyond the classroom.
- OWLv2 is the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry. Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning, allowing students to work at their own pace until they understand each concept and skill. Each time a student tries a problem, OWLv2 changes the chemicals, values, and sometimes even the wording of the question to ensure students are learning the concepts and not cheating the system. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it. Now with improved student and instructor tools and greater functionality, OWLv2 is more robust than ever. Discover the power of OWLv2 and take learning to a higher level.
- AN "ATOMS FIRST" APPROACH places coverage of structure and bonding early in the text (Chapter 4-6), taking students right into the core topics of the course and helping them build a strong conceptual understanding of chemistry.
- A UNIQUE APPROACH TO LEARNING CHEMICAL PRINCIPLES emphasizes the scientific process from observation to application, placing general chemistry into perspective for serious-minded science and engineering students.
- MATHEMATICALLY ACCURATE MOLECULAR ORBITAL ART helps students visualize how orbital equations translate into the shapes of the orbitals.
- A FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING. Problems are grouped into three categories: 1) Paired problems in the first set are grouped by section, with answers to the odd-numbered paired problems collected in Appendix G so students can check their answer to the first problem in a pair before undertaking the second parallel problem. 2) Additional Problems (unpaired) provide further applications of the principles developed in the chapter. 3) Cumulative Problems integrate material from the chapter with topics presented earlier in the book. More challenging problems are integrated throughout the problem sets and are indicated with asterisks.
- PEDAGOGICALLY IMPORTANT APPENDICES. Appendix A discusses experimental error and scientific notation; Appendix B introduces the SI system of units used throughout the book, describes the methods used for converting units, and provides a brief review of some fundamental principles in physics. Appendix C provides a review of mathematics for general chemistry, including a new section on vectors in Cartesian coordinates. Appendices D, E, and F are compilations of thermodynamic, electrochemical, and physical data, respectively.