PROGRAMMER'S INTRODUCTION TO VISUAL BASIC.NET
1. Why Should You Move to Visual Basic .NET? Visual Basic .NET: A New Framework. The Common Language Runtime. Managed Execution. The Common Type System. The .NET Framework Class Library. Self-Describing Components. Cross-Language Interoperability. Security.
2. Your First VB .NET Application. The Start Page. Creating a New Project. Creating Your First VB .NET Application. Windows Application Enhancements.
3. Major VB .NET Changes. General Changes. New Items.
4. Building Classes and Assemblies with VB .NET. Creating Your First Class Library. The "Final" Code. Compiling the Assembly. Working with Assemblies and the GAC.
5. Inheritance with VB .NET. What Is Inheritance? A Quick Inheritance Example. Shared Members. Inheritance Keywords. Polymorphism. A Visual Inheritance Example. When to Use and When Not to Use Inheritance.
6. Getting Started with ADO.NET. The Importance of ADO.NET. Building Simple ADO.NET Applications. Objects for Disconnected Data. Comparing ADO and ADO.NET.
7. Upgrading VB6 Projects to VB .NET. Upgrading Your First VB6 Application. The Visual Basic Compatibility Library. Upgrading a More Complex Example. Upgrading a Component Containing ADO. The Upgrade Process. Helping Your VB6 Applications Upgrade.
8. Building Web Applications with VB .NET and ASP.NET. Your First ASP.NET Application. How ASP.NET Works. Server Controls. Data Binding. Handling Re-entrant Pages.
9. Building Web Services with VB .NET. Creating Your First Web Service. Creating a Web Service Client. Building Data-Driven Web Services. How Web Services Work.
10. Building Windows Services and Console Applications _with VB .NET. Creating Your First Windows Services Project. Understanding Windows Services. Building Console Applications.
11. Creating Multithreaded Visual Basic .NET Applications. Creating a Multithreaded Application. Returning Values from Other Threads. Multithreading with Forms and Controls. Passing Parameters to Threads. Thread Maintenance and Synchronization.
12. Monitoring Performance with VB .NET. Monitoring Performance. Creating Your Own Performance Counters.
13. Deployment and Configuration. Deploying .NET Apps. Configuring .NET Applications. VB .NET Configuration. ASP.NET Configuration. Security.
14. .NET Interoperability with COM. Using COM Components from .NET. Using .NET Components in COM Applications. Calling Windows API Functions.
Appendix A. Writing Code for Cross-Language Interoperability.
The .NET Framework Class Library. Data Types and the CLS.