Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings to Eurocode 8
An Original Source of Expressions and Tools for the Design of Concrete Elements with Eurocode
Seismic design of concrete buildings needs to be performed to a strong and recognized standard. Eurocode 8 was introduced recently in the 30 countries belonging to CEN, as part of the suite of Structural Eurocodes, and it represents the first European Standard for seismic design. It is also having an impact on seismic design standards in countries outside Europe and will be applied there for the design of important facilities.
- Contains the fundamentals of earthquakes and their effects at the ground level, as these are affected by local soil conditions, with particular reference to EC8 rules
- Provides guidance for the conceptual design of concrete buildings and their foundations for earthquake resistance
- Overviews and exemplifies linear and nonlinear seismic analysis of concrete buildings for design to EC8 and their modelling
- Presents the application of the design verifications, member dimensioning and detailing rules of EC8 for concrete buildings, including their foundations
- Serves as a commentary of the parts of EC8 relevant to concrete buildings and their foundations, supplementing them and explaining their proper application
Seismic Design of Concrete Buildings to Eurocode 8suits graduate or advanced undergraduate students, instructors running courses on seismic design and practicing engineers interested in the sound application of EC8 to concrete buildings. Alongside simpler examples for analysis and detailed design, it includes a comprehensive case study of the conceptual design, analysis and detailed design of a realistic building with six stories above grade and two basements, with a complete structural system of walls and frames. Homework problems are given at the end of some of the chapters.