Single Variable Calculus 8e : Early Transcendentals (International Metric Version)
Success in your calculus course starts here! James Stewart's CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS texts are world-wide best-sellers for a reason: they are clear, accurate, and filled with relevant, real-world examples. With SINGLE VARIABLE CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS, 8E, INTERNATIONAL METRIC EDITION, Stewart conveys not only the utility of calculus to help you develop technical competence, but also gives you an appreciation for the intrinsic beauty of the subject. His patient examples and built-in learning aids will help you build your mathematical confidence and achieve your goals in the course.
- Four carefully crafted diagnostic tests in algebra, analytic geometry, functions, and trigonometry appear at the beginning of the text. These provide students with a convenient way to test their pre-existing knowledge and brush up on skills they need to successfully begin the course. Answers are included, and students who need to improve will be referred to points in the text or on the book''s website where they can seek help.
- Stewart''s text offers an extensive collection of more than 8,000 quality exercises. Each exercise set is carefully graded, progressing from skill-development problems to more challenging problems involving applications and proofs. The wide variety of types of exercises includes many technology-oriented, thought-provoking, real, and engaging problems.
- A wealth of engaging projects reinforce concepts. "Writing Projects" ask students to compare present-day methods with those of the founders of calculus. "Discovery Projects" anticipate results to be discussed later. "Applied Projects" feature content that engages student interest and demonstrates the real-world use of mathematics. "Laboratory Projects" anticipate results to be discussed later or encourage discovery through pattern recognition.
- Comprehensive review sections follow each chapter and further support conceptual understanding. A "Concept Check" and "True/False Quiz" allow students to prepare for upcoming tests through ideas and skill-building.
- "Strategies" sections (based on George Polya''s problem-solving methodology) help students select what techniques they''ll need to solve problems in situations where the choice is not obvious, and help them develop true problem-solving skills and intuition.
- Historical and biographical margin notes enliven the course and show students that mathematics was developed to help explain and represent natural phenomena.
- Additional exercises have been added to the existing end-of-chapter collections of more challenging exercises called "Problems Plus." These sections reinforce concepts by requiring students to apply techniques from more than one chapter of the text, and by patiently showing them how to approach a challenging problem.