Theatre Histories : An Introduction
This thoroughly revised and updated third edition of the innovative and widely acclaimed Theatre Histories: An Introduction offers a critical overview of global theatre and drama, spanning a broad wealth of world cultures and periods. Bringing together a group of scholars from a diverse range of backgrounds to add fresh perspectives on the history of global theatre, the book illustrates historiographical theories with case studies demonstrating various methods and interpretive approaches.
Subtly restructured sections place the chapters within new thematic contexts to offer a clear overview of each period, while a revised chapter structure offers accessibility for students and instructors. Further new features and key updates to this third edition include:
- A dedicated chapter on historiography
- New, up to date, case studies
- Enhanced and reworked historical, cultural and political timelines, helping students to place each chapter within the historical context of the section
- Pronunciation guidance, both in the text and as an online audio guide, to aid the reader in accessing and internalizing unfamiliar terminology
- A new and updated companion website with further insights, activities and resources to enable students to further their knowledge and understanding of the theatre.