Therapeutic Skills for Mental Health Nurses
Most specialist mental health care is provided by nurses who use face to face helping skills with a wide range of people in a variety of contexts. This book puts therapeutic skills at the heart of the nurse’s role, with one central aim: to equip you with knowledge to use in your practice, thus improving your ability to deliver care.
• Will enable you to strengthen your core therapeutic skills and broaden your knowledge to include other practical therapeutic approaches
• Collates in one place information on a range of therapeutic approaches, from person centred counselling, motivational interviewing and solution focused approaches, through to day to day skills of challenging unhelpful thoughts, de-escalating difficult situations, working with families, and problem solving
• Demonstrates application of theory to practice through a variety of practical examples
• Features reader activities to facilitate personal growth and learning
• Includes a chapter exploring clinical supervision and how this makes practice more effective
Each chapter is grounded in authentic clinical experiences and focuses on equipping the reader to develop confidence in their client facing skills. This text is an essential purchase for all mental health nurse students as well as qualified nurses.