Transport System and Transport Policy : An Introduction
- Erik Verhoef, VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
'The editors of this important book have clearly identified that few writings on transport treat the transport system as a whole. Implicit in this is a need for a genuinely multidisciplinary approach. An impressive list of contributors ensures that the book draws on the latest research whilst providing new insights into some of the key challenges facing transport students and researchers, transport providers and policy makers.'
- Roger Vickerman, University of Kent, UK
'Since ancient times transportation has brought our world together. But the need for connectivity and accessibility in a spatially differentiated world has prompted the emergence of very complex transportation systems. This book offers a fresh and operational contribution to a better understanding of the complexity and manageability of a mobile world, by addressing in a balanced way both conceptual and applied or policy aspects of modern transportation systems.'
- Peter Nijkamp, Free University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Transport impacts on people and businesses in many different ways, and presents some of the key problems that decision-makers need to address. This comprehensive textbook introduces the transport system in a holistic and multidisciplinary way, bringing together the myriad components of transport.
This textbook is written for an international readership of undergraduate and postgraduate students in transport and related subjects, as well as for professionals and policy decision-makers across both public and private sectors.
Key features include:
- Discussion of the importance of transport accessibility and the impacts of transport on the environment and safety
- Policy issues relating to all of the discussed issues and prescribed future options.
- Transport evaluation methods and modelling approaches.
- Examples to highlight the linkages between components of the transport system for example infrastructures, land-use, vehicle technologies - and the relevance of these linkages for decision making.
Contributors include: J.A. Annema, D. Banister, M. Dijst, K. Geurs, S. Hoogendoorn, V. Knoop, V. Marchau, P. Rietveld, K. Ruijgrok, L. Steg, L. Tavasszy, R. van den Brink, T. van der Hoorn, J. van der Waard, B. van Wee, W. Walker, L. Walta, F. Wegman