Vladimir Putin and the Evolution of Russian Foreign Policy
Table of Contents
About the Author.
1. The Putin Phenomenon:
2. The Inheritance:Identity and Self-Perception.
The Political Context.The Institutional Context.The Foreign Policy Panorama.Conclusion.
3. The Policy-Making Environment:
A Cast of Thousands?The Primacy of the Individual and the Making (and Breaking) of Policy.All Together Now?Conclusion.
4. The Economic Agenda:
The 'Unaturalness' of Economics.Foreign Policy and Economic Reform.The Integration Agenda and Globalization.The Profit Motive.Geoeconomics and Geopolitics.Economization and a 'Balanced' Foreign Policy.
5. Security and Geopolitics:
The Geopolitical Mindset.Change and Continuity in Russian Strategic Thinking.The Evolution of Threat Perceptions.The Future of Security and Geopolitics - From Anachronism to Rebirth?
6. Identity, Values and Civilization:
The Burden of the Past.Integration with the West.Identification with the West and the Evolution of the Russian World-View.Conclusion.
7. 11 September and After:Policy-Making
- Image and Reality.The Economic Agenda - Westernization with Qualifications.A New Conception of Security?The Repacking of Identity.Strategic Opportunism.Towards a Sustainable Foreign Policy.Notes.Index.