Vocabulary Strategies That Work : Do This-Not That!
Update your vocabulary practices to meet the Common Core and improve students' word knowledge! This new, clearly-structured guide shows you how. It's packed with engaging, research-based, classroom-ready strategies for teaching vocabulary.
- Selecting meaningful words for direct instruction
- Strategies for engaging students in word study
- Helping students come up with their own definitions
- Authentic vocabulary assessment
- Greek and Latin word study
- Bringing vocabulary to life using symbols and pictures
- Using a word wall effectively
- Teaching vocabulary all the time
- Creating opportunities for wide reading
- Using and expecting academic language
For each vocabulary recommendation, you'll learn the research behind it, how it relates to the Common Core, and how to implement it in your classroom. The practical ideas for teaching vocabulary will benefit all of your students, including your English language learners, with specific connections to ELLs included throughout the book. This is a must-have resource for teaching vocabulary and meeting the Common Core standards!