World Music Concise Edition : A Global Journey
World Music: A Global Journey, Concise Edition is an ideal introduction to the diversity of musical expression around the world, taking students across the globe to experience cultural traditions that challenge the ear, the mind, and the spirit. Based on the comprehensive third edition, this concise version offers a brief survey of the world’s musical culture within a strong pedagogical framework.
As one prepares for any travel, each chapter starts with background preparation, reviewing the historical, cultural, and musical overview of the region. Visits to multiple ‘sites’ within a region provide in-depth studies of varied musical traditions. Music analysis begins with an experiential "first impression" of the music, followed by an "aural analysis" of the sound and prominent musical elements. Finally, students are invited to consider the cultural connections that give the music its meaning and life.
- A brief survey of the world’s musical cultures
- 43 sites carefully selected for a global balance
- A 2-CD set of music, a fundamental resource for students to begin their exploration of world music and culture
- Listening Guides analyzing various pieces of music, with selected examples presented in an interactive format online
- Popular music incorporated with the traditional
The dynamic companion website hosts interactive listening guides, plus many student resources including video, flashcards, practice quizzes, and links to further resources. Instructor resources include assignment ideas, handouts, PowerPoint slides, and a test bank.