Write to TV : Out of Your Head and onto the Screen
Learn to craft smart, original stories and scripts for a variety of television formats and genres, including comedy, drama, pilots, animation, made-for-TV movies, late night, and reality television. Get firsthand advice from Oscar and Emmy-Award winning writers on how to mine original ideas and craft professional scripts that will get you noticed. Hear directly from studio and network executives, agents and managers on what they’re looking for in new writers and how to avoid pitfalls. Gain access to sample outlines, script pages, check lists, and countless other invaluable resources that will help you break into the industry and put you on the path to immediate success.
In Write to TV, Second Edition industry-veteran Martie Cook offers practical advice on writing innovative television scripts that will allow you to finally get that big idea out of your head and onto the screen. This all new edition has been updated to include:
- 25 new interviews with writers and producers of hit shows such as New Girl, Parks and Recreation, The Blacklist, Curb Your Enthusiasm, CSI, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and many more
- Tips and techniques from industry vets Jay Leno, Norman Lear, Paul Haggis, David McGee, Susan Rovner, Tal Rabinowitz, Jonathan Littman, Peter Jankowski, Steve Stark, and Doug Herzog that you can immediately apply to your own projects
- Enhanced coverage of writing pilots, pitching, writing webisodes, writing for tweens, writing for late night, and rewriting
- Practical resources for writers including information on competitions and festivals where you can submit your work
- Useful advice for navigating the confusing television hierarchy, including how to network, get an agent, land that first writing job, and even "do lunch"
- An all new companion website featuring blog updates and a discussion forum where the author is happy to answer questions from writers and students
The verdict is in: Write to TV, Second Edition will help you find your unique voice and write bold, standout scripts that will get attention and catapulted to the top of the heap!